In order to clarify what is coming up in the APP world from SonyBMG here's a brief summary.
If you don't hear it first from me, I will at least confirm or clarify! Ideas, comments, enthusiasm, doubts...let's work together!
There will be variations on a new compilation as these will be tailored to the major APP countries to enable them to release the album that is most suited to their market. However, the plan is for artwork to follow a similar thread and for the tracklisting to be derived from the 3CD set that is being released later this year in Holland and Italy.
It will then be adapted for release in the new year across the rest of the world, although formats may vary (ie some countries may release it as 1 or 2CD and others as 3CD).
So, what's different about any new compilation to the myriad that have come before? A number of things.:
The Dutch Collection will be released in Holland only (as the title suggests!) early October (not the previously suggested September date), the 2nd unless any last minute production delays, and will be supported by TV advertising.
The cover art will then be slightly adapted, and text translated from Dutch to Italian, for the Italian release as "Days Are Numbers" in November. It will remain the same tracklisting and number and pretty much the same artwork throughout.
For those of you who don't live in Holland or Italy and can't wait to get hold of this compilation, and the new improved audio.....don't panic, and certainly don't pay mad prices on e-bay!
There will be an opportunity to buy this via mail order, and details will follow very soon. The tracklisting for the Dutch Collection is below. Please note this is the correct tracklisting (Hawkeye and Sooner Or Later were sequenced the other way round on earlier drafts), and all tracks are album versions with the exception of Separate Lives which is a new and previously unreleased mix.
1. The Raven
2. The Tell-Tale Heart
3. The Cask Of Amontillado
4. To One In Paradise
5. I Robot
6. I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You
7. Some Other Time
8. Don't Let It Show
9. Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)
10. What Goes Up
11. The Eagle Will Rise Again
12. Can't Take It With You
13. In The Lap Of The Gods
14. Shadow Of A Lonely Man
16. Damned If I Do
17. If I Could Change Your Mind
1. Games People Play
3. The Gold Bug
The Turn Of A Friendly Card (suite)
4. I - The Turn Of A Friendly Card (Part One)
5. II - Snake Eyes
6. III - The Ace Of Swords
7. IV - Nothing Left To Lose
8. V - The Turn Of A Friendly Card (Part Two)
10. Eye In The Sky
11. Silence And I
14. Old And Wise
16. Ammonia Avenue
17. No Answers Only Questions (previously unreleased track)
1. Don't Answer Me
2. Prime Time
3. Let's Talk About Me
4. Separate Lives (alternative mix)
5. Days Are Numbers (The Traveller)
6. Sooner Or Later
10. Where's The Walrus?
11. La Sagrada Familia
12. Closer To Heaven
13. Standing On Higher Ground
14. Paseo De Gracia
All 9 Arista albums are being reissued next year as "expanded editions". These will include:
- the original album digitally remastered from the original tapes, or best master available. These have already been completed, and as those who were at Fan Fest have testified on these pages sound fantastic.
- bonus tracks - these take the shape of demos, work in progress, guide vocals, unreleased tracks, alternate versions, and more. All tracks have come from Eric and Alan's archives, the vast majority from Eric, and have been a journey of discovery for us all (!).
- improved packaging - booklets will include new liner notes, much of which are based on interviews with both artists, rare photos, memorabilia, etc. The current planned release dates are 3 phases as below. These are not set in stone and may move pending completion of bonus material for each album.
January 22nd - I Robot (30th anniversary), Eye In The Sky, Vulture Culture
March 26th - Pyramid, The Turn Of A Friendly Card,Stereotomy
May 28th - Eve, Ammonia Avenue, Gaudi
There will be various promotional items put together, the first of which will be a unique "introduction" CD which I hope to get manufactured in the next week, and will get copies to some of you (those who already know me, drop me an email and I'll send you one). These will essentially be part of an education process regarding APP music, for people inside and outside the company who may or may not know the name and are unfamiliar with the music, or need a quick revision course.
The next few months will be spent spreading the word and trying to get a wider audience back on board for the music of APP - of course anything people on the roadkill list can do to spread the word whether to readers and fans on similar artist sites, to friends, colleagues, media, radio requests, etc etc will help the cause.
We will also determine what to do regarding videos and other potential bonus tracks that didn't make the reissues, as well as a digital plan. Meantime, there are a number of other exciting developments and work in progress, and you will hear more about these over the coming days and weeks.
It's looking like a great time to be an APP fan, and I hope we can all enjoy the great music, and see the band's profile raised once more.
This page, copyright 2006 The Avenue / Avenue Communications.